What our Guest’s say about us..
Frommers Guide book 2010 (USA) WHERE TO STAY + see TripAdvisor.com for more
if you’re here to get a sense of just how dreamy and miraculous this part of Himachal really is – enjoying in equal measure the finest views of snow-tipped mountains, a valley spread far beneath your feet, and a warm, homey environment you won’t easily find anywhere else in the state—look no further than Eagles’ Nest. It’s also reviewed below, but be warned that it’s strictly for those of us who relish getting away from it all, so mall rats can give it a skip.
Hotel Eagle’s Nest You’ll instantly fall in love with our favorite Himachal hideaway. Bo and Sheila traded London’s music industry for the tranquility of the hills high above Dharamsala, transforming this old mission station into a gorgeous guesthouse. From high up here, the mayhem of McLeod Ganj seems light years away and yet it’s a mere [bf]1/2-hour walk down the mountain. Rooms – on two levels around a homey dining room-cum-library have been personally designed, each one a different style (pick between Moghal, Tibetan, Modern, Himachali, or simply ask for the most spectacular view) – nothing feels even remotely hotel like, and yet little luxuries are laid on to make you feel like a special guest. Your hosts are particularly endearing—Bo doles out dry, robust wit, and Sheila lavishes you with warmth, and they both make you feel like you’re part of the family; you can join in activities in the kitchen, either watching over chef’s shoulder, or having a go at making momos; one member of staff is a qualified Ayurvedic masseuse. Despite having all the comforts of home, the property is in a mountain wilderness with abundant fauna— langur monkeys hang out on the lawn (with the guesthouse horses), and there are pinemartins, porcupines, barking deer, leopard, Himalayan black bear, and plenty of bird life in the vicinity. Sheer bliss.
- We all 3 decided our three days in Dharamsala with you were the highlight of our trip so you can count on seeing Nichola again… Geoff & Yvonne (+ N) Orkin, March 2012
- Great to see you again and many thanks for all your generosity, hospitality and the wonderful food. It has been just as splendid as the first visit – Rob, group Leader, 2005
- These have been two spectacular days. Thank you so much for welcoming us to this magical place and making us feel at home. I will always remember this as a place of deep happiness – Mary, guest 2005
- Soul cream – Katie, guest, 2007
- You have created a fantastic place. It is like a jewel in the crown of the mountains. Absolutely loved it. Thank you for taking such great care of us. Hope to see you seen – Rahul, Group leader, 2008
- Incredible views and a real sense of tranquility, thanks ! – Philip, 2008
- Absolutely amazing, with the cleanest air and freshest food ! – Anna, 2009
- Thanks for the most memorable holiday – ever ! – Phil, 2009
- It’s been fantabbydozzy to share your piece of heaven and a joy to meet you – Caroline, 2005
- Thanks for everything you have done for us, the trips, the adventure, the food – Nick, 2006