About Hotel Eagles Nest
Set in 2 square kilometers of cedar, oak and rhododendron in the splendid Himalayan foothills (6,808ft / 2,042m), overlooking the Kangra and Kullu Valleys and the temple of the Dalai Lama amidst his community in exile from Tibet. This unusual and beautiful corner of India has the snow capped Dhauladhar mountain range as its spectacular backdrop – providing stunning views from our garden. Eagle’s Nest is an ideal spot for center-based trekking, horse-riding, walking, bird-watching and visiting local sights, or as a base from which to attend the many local ashrams, yoga/meditation classes, or as a retreat.
The Hotel is an accumulation of the surrounding influences; each apartment is individually decorated: Mughal, Tibetan, Himachali, Kashmiri. All with en-suite marble bathrooms and verandahs with mountain views.
- We have our own spring water.
- We are well known for our high standards of international vegetarian cuisine. All our food is fresh and home cooked.
- The House manager is on hand during the day to arrange laundry, or snacks/ drinks.
Wildlife and animals: Our land is one of the few places in the world where you may see wild leopards. There is no road near and few people other than local villagers, so many wild animals and birds inhabit this unspoilt environment. There are also bears, langur monkeys, deer, pine martens, porcupines, flying squirrels; and many eagles, lammergeier, khaleej pheasants, scarlet minivets and other beautiful birds. We arrange special guided bird watching tours. We even have our own horses — great for children too!
Best times to visit: March to July, October to December/New Year.
Please Note: You will arrive by car/taxi, and take a short walk through the forest to reach our private land: but don’t worry – porters are provided.
***Due to our Eco-status, we only use solar power for our bathrooms’ hot water, therefore, if there is not enough heat from sunshine, we will provide guests with plenty of balti (bucket) hot water direct from the kitchen – gas-powered.
We operate a very conscious environmentally friendly hotel-lodge with regard to our neighborhood wildlife, nature and keeping local situations sustainable. There isn’t a road leading to the hotel so no cars are on site – All our staff are from local villages, and we use locally hand-woven blankets, hand-made soaps and hand-carved wood products.
- All our water is harvested from rainfall, and we have a Spring for pure drinking water.
- We have solar-power for hot water.
- We grow herbs and salad, milk is from staff families’ cows and buffalo and we make curd, cheese, jams, marmalade, relishes, chutneys, and cook local organic produce.
- All our waste is separated for compost, animal feed, paper & wood for our modern fire stoves in the guest rooms, glass, etc., for re-cycling.
- We are involved with the Dharamsala Animal Rescue and encourage guests to be involved where possible. They are our local mobile clinic and permanent animal sanctuary for dogs and other wildlife, and provide school education programs.